Useless CDs

TALL DWARFS - FORK SONGS


I bought this bc of the allmusic review of it, which says it's seminal. SEMINAL! Read this!

The acclaimed duo of Chris Knox and Alec Bathgate's 1980s output on the Flying Nun label was profoundly influential on a generation of lo-fi music. Their influence can be traced in the music of Yo La Tengo, Pavement, Smog, and others working with intimate and primitive songcraft. Legendary home recorders, Fork Songs continues to expand their self-built universe and deepen their songwriting partnership. Fearless assemblages of noisy loops, primitive guitars, and household objects are the instruments favored, and the ease with which they sculpt oblique elements into delicate upbeat songs is stunning. Like the Television Personalities, their low-tech methods prove that great songs will transcend recording methods, and Fork Songs is only another crucial chapter in the book of musical invention that the New Zealand duo wrote.
Come on, tell me that doesn't sound awesome. They're basically saying 2 weird best friends recorded an album using weird instruments and important bands like them. I am going to give this another shot bc I sometimes like listening to Jonathan Richman and other man-children banging pots together and singing about whatever they like.



GUNS N ROSES - USE YOUR ILLUSION II


Yeah! What's up, 1991! Memories:
  • In high school, Jenny got me this on tape for Xmas one year and I never listened to it.
  • My nerdy debate friend Kumar quoted the Axl rant in "Get In The Ring" to me verbatim, much to my delight and shock.
  • I still don't know what parts of "Knockin On Heaven's Door" are sung by the guy from Blind Melon.
  • "Don't Cry (Alternate Lyrics)" < "Don't Cry (Regs Vers)"
  • The song "Estranged" should change its name to "what in God's name is this music video about, seriously, dolphins?"
  • "You Could Be Mine" is Eddie Furlong wearing a Public Enemy shirt with Sam from Diff'rent Strokes pumping a boombox (and decidedly not Christian Bale setting up a wire to trick a Terminator while Common hangs around next to him, being all smooth).
BEST SONG: DON'T CRY / KNOCKIN ON HEAVEN'S DOOR (TIE)



SOFT CELL - LIVE


I never listened to this album, I bought it bc I was hoping there'd be some amazing live version on it of a famous song that no one else would ever be up on, a la the Kraftwerk Minimum/Maximum album. Either way, Soft Cell gets a spot in history because of this 12":




SHUGGIE OTIS - INSPIRATION INFORMATION


This is a Pete from TTL record x1000. In terms of music, this is like what I associate with him the strongest. That and his crazy hyena laugh. Shuggie Otis is cool. It's light and pleasant and has that awesome 70s drum machine thing that's on There's A Riot Goin On. Totally springtime apartment cleaning music. Gonna go buy an armchair at CB2, it's so nice.



SERGE GAINSBOURG - AUX ARMES ET CAETERA


I bought this hoping/wishing there'd be an amazing reggae album on it but nope, it's not good. To counteract this, I'm going to put up a bunch of pictures of Serge being awesome.








 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 1 comments:

William said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyEKprp13Ks

Big song for me in 8th grade. Got it from a CMJ cd.

December 7, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Post a Comment

 
 
Bookmark and Share