THE SMITHS ~ THE DRAIZE TRAIN
A few interesting things about this record:
1. The producer John Porter, when he heard this, lamented Morrissey not recording vocals over it because he was confident it would have been a hit.
2. He was proved semi-correct when Marr later gave it to Bryan Ferry for The Right Stuff.
3. When compiling the songs that would go on Rank, Morrissey put this on the album for seemingly no reason, which led Simon Goddard to postulate that he did so as an olive branch to Marr, since every song on Rank (with the exception of the little Elvis interlude) was a Marr/Morrissey composition, this one being solely a Marr track would give him slightly more $$$ when the record sold. Rourke and Joyce, of course, continuing to make the pathetic 13% or whatever Morrissey deigned to give them.
4. All this information I'm pretty sure I internalized from Goddard's "Songs That Saved Your Life," which everyone should read.
5. This is the only Smiths instrumental aside from Oscillate Wildly.
Tuesday, March 10, 2009 Posted by Woods 12:40 AM